BTEC (Level 3) Extended Certificate (Single Award)
BTEC (Level 3) National Diploma (Double Award)
This specialist qualification focuses on developing students’ knowledge of the different areas of employment within the vocational world of sport. The course brings together both practical and theoretical units where students gain outstanding classroom teaching throughout the course. This is achieved through a variety of vocational tasks that encourages the development of appropriate vocational behaviours and transferable skills such as communication, teamwork, research and analysis, which are valued in both higher education and the workplace. All modules are assessed through a variety of methods including presentations, interviews, group work and written assignments, externally assessed exams and synoptic assessments. During the course all students will be given the opportunity to coach and co-ordinate extra-curricular sports activities. This will then enable them to become part of The MFG Sports Leadership Academy, and participate in coaching teams and leading sports events with local primary schools.
Grade 4 in GCSE PE or Level 2 Pass or above equivalent with Grade 4, 4 in GCSE Combined Science and Grade 4 in GCSE English Language. (Sport/coaching experience could also be considered).
- Units 1 and 2 are externally assessed units = 46%
- Units 4, 5, 6, 17, 22, 23 are internally assessed coursework units = 54%
Extended Certificate Course Units
• Unit 1 – Anatomy and Physiology (External written examination)
• Unit 2 – Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being (Externally assessed synoptic assessment)
• Unit 3 – Professional Development in the Sports Industry (Internally assessed coursework)
• Unit 7 – Practical Sports Performance (Internally assessed coursework)
Extended Certificate equates to one A Level.
National Diploma equates to two A Levels, Graded Distinction*, Distinction, Merit or pass (D*,D,M,P)
National Diploma Course Units
Extended Certificate units plus:
• Unit 4 – Sports Leadership – Internally assessed coursework (Internally assessed coursework)
• Unit 5 – Application of Fitness Testing – Internally assessed coursework (Internally assessed coursework)
• Unit 6 – Sports Psychology – Internally assessed coursework (Internally assessed coursework)
• Unit 17 – Sports Injury Management – Internally assessed coursework (Internally assessed coursework)
• Unit 22 – Investigating Business in Sport and the Active Leisure Industry (Externally assessed synoptic assessment)
• Unit 23 – Skill Acquisition in Sport – Internally assessed coursework (Internally assessed coursework)
Studying BTEC Sport will equip you with the necessary knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to prepare yourself for employment within the sporting industry, ideal for anyone wishing to pursue a career in the sport and leisure sector, public services or on to higher education. Students go on to study sport and its related fields, such as education, elite performance, sports management, sports coaching and development, performance analysis, technical scouting and sports therapy.
If you are interested in the world of sport and wish to pursue a career in its various related areas or intend to progress to careers which involve performance, including as a sports coach or a support officer in a high-performance environment, then this is the course for you.
Business Studies is an exciting and dynamic subject that reflects the ever-changing nature of the business world. Students will study a wide range of business concepts and theories; from human resources, finance and marketing to business strategy, all of which will...